Our formulas are designed for the majority of common skin types. Currently we offer skincare customized for:
- Dry skin
- Normal skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin
- Skin stressed by pollutants or irritants
- Sensitive skin
We are still working to develop custom skincare routines for acne-prone skin types, which will be ready soon. If this is your primary concern and you’d like to be notified when these formulas become available, please sign up for our email list here.
For skin conditions that typically require medical care, such as extreme eczema or rosacea, we recommend you seek extended care from a medical professional. If you have any questions about the skin types we address, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Ready to get your custom skincare? Get started here.
Our skincare is formulated to help you make progress toward your personal skin goals. You’ll tell us your top priorities in your skin analysis so that our skin experts can optimize your formulas. And when your priorities change, we’ll change your routine, too.
The skin concerns we currently work on include:
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Loss of firmness & elasticity
- Hyperpigmentation & dark spots
- Uneven skin tone
- Dry skin & rough patches
- Irritation & sensitivity
- Pollution damage & protection
In addition to the skin goals you choose to work on, our formulas go above and beyond with universally beneficial ingredients. We always include microbiome-friendly, functional ingredients to help boost overall skin health.
Ready to start working on your skin goals? Click here to get your custom skincare.
Our formulas prioritize skin health to help naturally combat aging, irritation and other damage, rather than finding short term solutions for common skin concerns.
All of our custom formulas have an optimal pH and are made with ingredients to rebalance your microflora and build a healthy skin barrier. That’s because to us, the most important indicators of skin health are a thriving microbiome and a strong, effective skin barrier:
- Your skin barrier is part of the top layer of your skin. When it’s in good shape, it effectively retains moisture, naturally exfoliates and protects your skin from irritants, allergens, and aggressors like sun and pollution.
- The microbiome is your first line of defense against pollutants that can damage the skin barrier. You need various good bacteria strains present to keep your microbiome functioning effectively, and the byproducts of beneficial microflora also help strengthen your skin barrier.
Skincare does not need to be complicated, but it does need a few basic steps. We believe the minimum is three steps: cleanse, treat and hydrate. We specifically design our formulas to complement each other and work together for optimal skin health and results:
- Cleanse: Starting with a microbiome-friendly cleanser optimized for your skin type gently cleanses and removes makeup, without stripping skin, leaving your skin pH balanced and ready to absorb the benefits of the next steps.
- Treat: The serum is a treatment step customized to address your skin goals and feed your skin with the beneficial nutrients it needs. Your formula is designed to absorb quickly for ultimate skin nourishment and to help build your overall skin health.
- Hydrate: The final part of your routine is protective moisturizer to seal in the benefits of your serum, while helping to strengthen your skin barrier and microbiome. Our formulas are optimized to hydrate for your skin condition, and are intentionally lightweight so they sink into the deeper layers of your skin.
If we believe your skin needs more, we may recommend additional steps to your routine. We offer a custom serum as an option in case you are not ready to commit to an entire regimen. But for the best results, we recommend the three-step skincare kit.
Our skincare products are overall safe to use, but the best way to be sure is to contact our skin experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that our skincare does not contain SPF. We recommend applying mineral sunscreen (look for zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide only) before you head outdoors, and reapplying regularly during prolonged sun exposure. Wearing a hat is a great way to give your skin an extra layer of protection, too.
Everyone is different; you may notice a change in your skin as early as two weeks, but it may take up to eight weeks. Because we are focused on working on long term skin benefits, it is normal not to see any instant results.
For the best results, please follow the usage recommendations. If you have questions about your results, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
To gain comprehensive insight into your unique skin needs, the formulas we personalize for you start with a two-part skin analysis:
- The skin profile includes a series of questions about your skin goals, lifestyle and environment. Whether you live near an ocean or the mountains, rigorously exercise, or work at home in front of a computer screen, we take it all into account.
- The at-home skin test will ship directly to you, so you can easily measure your skin type, condition and barrier health from the comfort of home. It is a quick test that uses paper strips pressed onto your cheeks and forehead, and you’ll input the results into your Pure Culture account (no need to send anything back to us in the mail!).
We’ve been in the skincare industry long enough to know that the one-size-fits-all approach just doesn’t work. That’s why we’ve flipped the industry’s standard - instead of starting with a product, we start with YOU.
The key to effective products is understanding what your skin really needs, which is why we created the at-home skin test to learn about your skin. Along with the information shared in your skin profile questionnaire, your skin test allows us to choose ingredients that help you reach your skin goals, achieve a healthy barrier, and build a flourishing microbiome.
Still curious why self-reporting isn’t enough? Well, part of what we test for (barrier health and skin condition) are immeasurable to the naked eye. We also test for skin type, because we’ve found that only 25% of our customers correctly identify their skin type. Many of these people have historically used the wrong type of products for years, and the skin test allows us to change their skincare narratives with formulas that finally support their skin needs.
The skin analysis takes about 15-20 minutes, from start to finish. There’s no need to mail anything back to us - just log your results in your Pure Culture account.
The skin profile is a questionnaire on our website, and we’ll mail the skin test kit directly to you to complete at home when you are ready. Here’s how the timing breaks down:
- Skin profile: Plan on 5-10 minutes to complete your skin profile on your website account. If it’s easier for your schedule, you can complete the skin profile before the at-home skin test is delivered.
- At home skin test: Reserve about 10 minutes for your at-home skin test. For best results, we recommend doing the at-home skin test first thing in the morning, before you wash your face or apply products.
As soon as you complete both parts of your skin analysis, we’ll analyze the data to customize your skincare formulas and routine. You’ll get to review the benefits and ingredients of your formulas in your Pure Culture account right away.
The products you purchased along with your skin test (either a three product skincare set or a serum) will get customized and ship automatically. You may receive some additional custom formula recommendations too, which you may add to your cart and purchase separately at any time.
Our lifestyles and skin are ever-evolving, which means your formulas may need refinement over time. If you have any questions about your formulas or want to update your skin analysis, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like to schedule a personal consultation with one of our skin experts at any point along your Pure Culture journey, click here to find a time that works for your schedule.
Our skin profile questionnaire and our at-home skin test allow us to gain insight into what your skin needs, but we agree that getting your skincare right is a two-way dialogue!
Our strict definition of clean has resulted in banning over 2,700 specific ingredients due to safety and sustainability concerns. For comparison, the US FDA has banned fewer than 50 ingredients and the European Union has banned approximately 1,300.
Our approach to clean beauty is 4-fold. These aren’t just checkboxes to us - they’re commitments that guide our decision making at every level of our business:
- Safety: Did you know that your skin has the potential to absorb products into your bloodstream? Your skin is directly related to your overall wellness, which means we would never risk any ingredients that are known to be harmful.
- Sustainability: We only source ingredients and materials that are made in a sustainable way. Our formulas are designed by skin experts in San Francisco and Toronto, and customized in environmentally-friendly labs.
- Natural ingredients: Our ingredients come from nature, and transparency in ingredients is paramount for us.
- Ethical sources: We only use cruelty-free ingredients and materials that come from trusted partners with fair labor conditions and wages.
Pure Culture is a cruelty-free company and we do not test our ingredients or finished formulas on animals. Our skincare is also vegan; our formulas are made from naturally sourced, plant derived ingredients and contain no animal by-products.
All of our skincare is pH balanced. The ideal pH for adult skin is between 5-5.5, and we formulate within this range.
Similar to your gut, your skin needs an optimum level of good bacteria to look and feel its best. That’s why our skincare is microbiome-friendly to help support healthy, glowing skin.
We include both prebiotics and postbiotics in our formulas:
- Prebiotics are food for the good bacteria, which stimulates their growth and keeps them active.
- Postbiotics are the favorable byproducts created by the microflora that help nourish and strengthen our skin barrier.
Our products are 100% free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates and mineral oil, along with over 2,700 other ingredients that do not meet our stringent clean ingredient standards.
Some other ingredients we avoid at all costs:
- No silicones: Silicones sit on top of the skin’s surface, and do not biodegrade after you wash them off. That’s why we instead use sustainable ingredients that absorb into your skin to maintain moisture from within. Our favorites are healthy, hydrating emollients like olive, squalane and pomegranate oil. These lightweight, effective moisturizers can be used year-round and work hard to help improve your overall skin health.
- No alcohols: With the exception of our hydrating hand sanitizer, you’ll never see alcohol in any of our custom skincare. Our formulas still absorb quickly, because we choose ingredient formats that sink into the skin’s deep layers where they do their best work.
- No colorants: All of our formulas have beautifully different hues, but these colors are natural from the ingredients we use.
All of the ingredients we use in our formulas are safe during pregnancy and for breastfeeding mothers. There’s no need to let us know before we personalize your skincare and routine, but we always recommend double checking with your doctor if you have specific concerns.
We use recyclable packaging for everything we produce, from the paper for our at-home skin tests to our gorgeous glass bottles. As always, check with your local recycling facility to ensure these materials are recyclable in your neighborhood:
- Our glass bottles have recyclable plastic closures, and are reusable if you wish to repurpose them.
- Our cleanser tube and lids are made from biodegradable sugarcane. We opted to use a sticker label on these tubes so it can be peeled off before recycling.
- Our paper products are all FSC certified, and our envelopes and boxes are designed to be reused.
- Your first delivery will be an at-home skin test, which usually takes about 2-4 business days.
- After you finish your skin profile and at-home skin test, your custom formulas should be delivered to your doorstep within 7-10 business days.
Hand sanitizer orders typically take 2-4 business days, and skincare re-orders usually arrive within 7-10 business days.
Please note that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, shipping times may take a bit longer than usual.
We do not offer international shipping at this time. We only sell and ship our products within the United States.
Try checking any hidden areas at your delivery location, since your shipping carrier may have left your package where it's not easily visible for security. If you still can't find it, don't fret. Carriers sometimes mark packages as "delivered" before they've dropped off. Please contact your carrier directly if it's been more than two hours since you received the delivery notification.
We’re confident that your custom skincare will help you make progress toward healthier skin. If you try it, and don't love it, contact us within 30 days for a complimentary reformulation or refund.
Our skincare is always a one-time purchase with no subscription needed. We understand that everyone uses their products at different rates, and that subscriptions can be intimidating. You have the option to reorder any time you’re ready.
Nope - only one promo code per order, please.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Shop Pay, Apple Pay, Paypal, Google Pay and Pure Culture gift cards.
We do not store any payment information.
We tailor formulas to each person's unique skin, so gift cards are the best way to give the gift of Pure Culture Beauty.
Your recipient will receive an email with your personalized message and link to redeem the gift card. Planning ahead? You can pick the date of delivery, too. You'll receive a confirmation email once the gift card has been delivered.
After adding items to your cart and starting the checkout process, you'll be able to enter your gift card number and select "apply."
Gift cards do not expire. We'll be here to get you started when you're ready.