Our strict definition of clean has resulted in banning over 2,700 specific ingredients due to safety and sustainability concerns. For comparison, the US FDA has banned fewer than 50 ingredients and the European Union has banned approximately 1,300.
Our approach to clean beauty is 4-fold. These aren’t just checkboxes to us - they’re commitments that guide our decision making at every level of our business:
- Safety: Did you know that your skin has the potential to absorb products into your bloodstream? Your skin is directly related to your overall wellness, which means we would never risk any ingredients that are known to be harmful.
- Sustainability: We only source ingredients and materials that are made in a sustainable way. Our formulas are designed by skin experts in San Francisco and Toronto, and customized in environmentally-friendly labs.
- Natural ingredients: Our ingredients come from nature, and transparency in ingredients is paramount for us.
- Ethical sources: We only use cruelty-free ingredients and materials that come from trusted partners with fair labor conditions and wages.
Pure Culture is a cruelty-free company and we do not test our ingredients or finished formulas on animals. Our skincare is also vegan; our formulas are made from naturally sourced, plant derived ingredients and contain no animal by-products.
All of our skincare is pH balanced. The ideal pH for adult skin is between 5-5.5, and we formulate within this range.
Similar to your gut, your skin needs an optimum level of good bacteria to look and feel its best. That’s why our skincare is microbiome-friendly to help support healthy, glowing skin.
We include both prebiotics and postbiotics in our formulas:
- Prebiotics are food for the good bacteria, which stimulates their growth and keeps them active.
- Postbiotics are the favorable byproducts created by the microflora that help nourish and strengthen our skin barrier.
Our products are 100% free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates and mineral oil, along with over 2,700 other ingredients that do not meet our stringent clean ingredient standards.
Some other ingredients we avoid at all costs:
- No silicones: Silicones sit on top of the skin’s surface, and do not biodegrade after you wash them off. That’s why we instead use sustainable ingredients that absorb into your skin to maintain moisture from within. Our favorites are healthy, hydrating emollients like olive, squalane and pomegranate oil. These lightweight, effective moisturizers can be used year-round and work hard to help improve your overall skin health.
- No alcohols: With the exception of our hydrating hand sanitizer, you’ll never see alcohol in any of our custom skincare. Our formulas still absorb quickly, because we choose ingredient formats that sink into the skin’s deep layers where they do their best work.
- No colorants: All of our formulas have beautifully different hues, but these colors are natural from the ingredients we use.
All of the ingredients we use in our formulas are safe during pregnancy and for breastfeeding mothers. There’s no need to let us know before we personalize your skincare and routine, but we always recommend double checking with your doctor if you have specific concerns.
All of our formulas are gluten free, and we address skin sensitivity through the ingredients we choose for your custom formulas.
If you commonly experience sensitivity when trying new products, we recommend testing your formulas on your inside wrist for a few days before using them on your face and neck.
To eliminate bacteria and microbes, the CDC recommends a minimum of 60% ethyl alcohol in hand sanitizers. Our formula is even stronger, with 70% alcohol to kill germs thoroughly and completely. To keep hands hydrated and soft over repeated uses, we added sunflower oil, squalane and plant-derived Mevalonolactone to maintain moisture and help strengthen the skin barrier. It comes in an elegant, recyclable glass bottle to use at home or take on the go.